“Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen” Romans 15:33
Rest In Peace (RIP) is an acronym most often seen on tombstones at cemeteries. The truth is we don’t have to wait until we are physically dead to rest in peace, we can have rest for our souls in God’s peace ‘Today’! Jesus Christ said:
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.”(Matthew 11:28)
Rest is defined, “to cause or permit one to cease from any movement or labour in order to recover and collect his strength; calm, refresh”
If we come to Jesus Christ and walk and learn from Him, we will find rest for our souls! Jesus uses the word picture example of yoking ourselves to Him. A yoke is “wooden beam used between pair of oxen to enable them to pull together on a load when working in a pair.” Jesus says;
“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29-30)
This rest for our souls is not laziness or stagnation or free from burdens, but rather resting in the finish work of Jesus Christ.
We join Jesus in lovingly plowing and preparing the hearts of others to receive the seed (God’s Word) and working alongside Jesus in the plentiful harvest.
If your souls are not resting in peace there are many possible reasons; here are a few:
“Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you…”Acts 3:19-20
- You have not turned from your ways and to God’s ways and rested in Him (Isaiah 30:15)
- You are not waiting on the Lord, asking for His path and walking in it (Jeremiah 6:16)
- You have hardened your heart to the voice of God going astray in your heart and do not know God’s ways (Hebrews 3:7-11)
- You are being disobedient and unbelieving (Hebrews 3:18-19)
- You are not being diligent to enter into the Sabbath rest for the people of God; For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath (Hebrews 4:9-11; Matthew 12:8)
- You are not connected to Jesus Christ the One True Vine that brings the fruit of the Spirit (John 15:5 Galatians 5:22-23)
- You have a proud heart, haughty eyes, are involved with great matters, or things too difficult for you, and have misplaced your hope–you have placed your hope in yourself, other things or people and not in The Lord (Psalm 131)
I can share these Scriptures because these are the ones God has used to slice me open to show me the thoughts and intentions of my heart, to show me when and why I am not resting in the ‘Guardian of my soul’. I am praying we rest in God’s perfect peace on the finished work of the Cross; Not what we do but what’s been done! I rejoice my name is written in the book of life, love has been poured into my heart and I can’t help but mourn for those that do not yet personally know the One True God and Jesus Christ Whom He has sent.
By God’s grace I get to join my Savior in step with His Holy Spirit to be a worker in the harvest ~ that is a worker empowered by His Spirit knowing it is God who works in and through me for His pleasure for He also does not wish that any should perish but that all would come to repentance and enter into His rest.
Yoke yourself to the Lord of Sabbath and you will feel His presence inside and “By Your Side”.
“…the LORD longs to be gracious to you, and therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the LORD is a God of justice; How blessed are all those who long for Him.” Isaiah 30:18
“Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God. But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin. For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.” Hebrews 3:12-14
“So Jesus said to them, ‘Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you’. And when He had said this He breathed on them and said to them, ‘Receive the Holy Spirit.’” John 20:21-22